Green Apron – Successfully completing the Earn-A-Bike class
Red Apron – Red apron focuses on measuring and sizing as well as fine adjustments. After completing red apron a youth will be able to:
- Use a tire gauge and understand the measuring tire pressure in KPA and PSI
- Identify bicycle cables and measure them correctly
- Measure chain wear and size a chain
- Adjust indexed derailleurs and understand precision vs. accuracy
- Adjust brakes, and have a basic understanding of kinetic energy, heat and entropy.
Purple Apron – Focuses on a deeper understanding of components. Adjusting of bearing systems and overhauls of component are introduced. Upon completing the purple Apron, a Youth would be able to assemble a new bike from a box, which is often part of an interview at a bike shop.
Black Apron – The highest level of Apron takes a bit more practice. A black apron will be tested on proper diagnostic procedure, be able to balance competing factors like those in truing a wheel. They must demonstrate good use of inquiry-based learning as well as industry nomenclature for standardized systems like headsets and bottom brackets.
There is a registration fee for the Advanced Apron Classes. This is part of your investment in your son or daughter’s participation in our program.